Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TOM AND GOLF

    Sun City, AZ North Golf Course                                        The 18-hole "Sun City North" course at the Sun City North Golf Course facility in Sun City, Arizona features 6,434 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72 . The course rating is 70.0 and it has a slope rating of 116 on Bermuda grass. Sun City North golf course opened in 1960. 


The course has generous landing areas of the tee but the grass is not very long and the rough is so short that an off-line shot is sure to roll quite a ways.  Unfortunately, you still have to hit from a very thin lie and it is hard to get under the ball.  Forget the lob shot!

I played my first round of golf on this course since my back surgery and my back did amazingly well.  so much so that I played 4 rounds of golf with my Brother in the next seven days.  I could feel some soreness in the muscles of my lower back but the operation caused me no discomfort or problems.

   Sun City, AZ Lakes West Golf Course                              The 18-hole "Lakes West" course at the Sun City Lakes West & East facility in Sun City, Arizona features 6,195 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72 . The course rating is 69.1 and it has a slope rating of 118. Designed by (R)Tripp Davis, the Lakes West golf course opened in 2009.

I thought that this course was similar to the North course but had a bit more caracter so it was my favorite of those we played in Sun City.  I had my moments of playing like I iknew what I was doing but unfortunately, my Brother Bob had more of those moments and I had to accept defeat gracefully!

PGA West Private Golf Courses - Jack Nicklaus Course La Quinta, CA

The 18-hole Nicklaus Tournament course at the PGA West Stadium Clubhouse facility in La Quinta, California features 7,126 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 74.7 and it has a slope rating of 139.

 This course was just as tough as the course rating and slope would indicate!  What a great setting for a course right at the base of the mountains.  It sure gets the adrenaline pumping.  Jack Nicklaus' design is very unforgiving and if you don't put the ball in play or hit the green, your are sure to be in trouble!  A stroke counter is a good accessory to have with you!



PGA West Private Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course
La Quinta, CA
 Challenge, beauty and drama permeate this course.  Around every corner you will find a new challenge, including the rare feature of 2 island greens.  At 7,204 yards long, thhis course has a stroke rating of 75.3 and slope rating of 143.  

This was probably the toughest course we played while in La Quinta and was similar to the Private course we played the day before.  Just eye-popping beauth on each hole.  Exceptionally well manicured and tough as nails.  Even when you hit a good shot, it might not be good enough if it doesn't land in the right area.  You could very well roll back into a bunker or into a lake.  Even so, I really enjoyed it.



I played a couple of rounds of golf here with Son-in-Law Gus and his Nephew Brian and a HS Classmate of Gus' and still have had no problems with my back!  Still have the soreness of the muscles in my lower back but those will get better with more exercise.

No comments: